Sunday, February 22, 2009

Loy Kratong

Back in November (yeah this post is a little late), Tara, Sheila, Pi Oye, Pi Mie, and I all went to Sukothai for the Loy Kratong Festival. Loy Kratong is a big festival where people make little floats and release them onto water. When they let go of their float, they are releasing all of their bad energy (grudges, anger, etc) and welcoming the good.

Sukothai is one of the former capitals of Thailand, and it is where Loy Kratong started...so it was really neat to be able to go. The ruins were amazing - I liked them much better than Ayutthaya.
This lady was selling some ointment that she made...if you can see in the pot, there are horns from some kind of animal. I don't think I would use that ointment!
They had a contest going on for Kratongs (the floats) and they were awesome!!!

They're made with flowers & seeds!
There were parades like crazy!

Here they are taking one of the Kratongs to the water.

The guys at my office were very impressed by this picture. The necklaces the men are wearing are good luck charms & can be very expensive.

We went back later that evening to let off our own Kratongs.
Then we walked around the ruins again & it was amazing all lit up.
Then it was time for the sound & light show...
When I got back, Pi Nuch & her husband showed me how to make the Kratongs...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kellie! Picked up your blog of Chelseys. You make me want to go on vacation you always have pictures of super cool things.. Check out our blog sometime. jackie