Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Morning

I wake slowly as I feel a soft flutter against my cheek. I reach up and brush the bug away. “How did a bug get in my mosquito net?” I briefly wonder as I drift back to sleep. But sleep was not to come as I soon felt the fluttering return to my cheek.

A little more awake this time, I reach up and brush the bug away only to bolt upright in bed as I feel pointy legs and a huge body. It’s dark so I scramble for my glasses and flashlight that are at the head of my bed.

I turn my flashlight on and shine the light around...What sort of creature is sharing my bed? Is it a scorpion? A spider? One of those beetles that give you rashes? Nope…it’s a cockroach…a 3 inch long gigantic cockroach. I lift up my mosquito net and flick the thing out with the tip of my flashlight. I watch as it lands on its feet and then promptly flips onto its back. It’s dying…they do that when they die.

I grab my cell phone to check the time…4:59 in the morning…I still have a couple of hours before my alarm will go off so I take off my glasses and lay back down to try to get some more sleep. But sleep doesn’t want to come. My heart is pounding and the roosters have started their crowing. I feel my skin crawl and every few seconds reach up every to brush off the bugs that aren’t there. I hear a beep, beep, beep and hope that my neighbor turns their alarm clock off soon. I hear a motorcycle start up and drive off.

I am just about to drift off to sleep when the music starts. They are going to make village announcements this morning. The music is coming from loudspeakers that are about 20 feet from my house, and it is loud. They usually play a couple of songs to get your attention before they start with the announcements…

I’m not going to get any more sleep…

It’s going to be a long day…

No comments: