Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mekong River & Luang Prabang

After the Gibbon Experience, we took a slow boat down the Mekong River to Luang Prabang. The slow boat took 2 days & we stopped for the night in a small little village. The scenery was amazing!


We had heard horror stories about the boats...that they pack people in & you're stuck on hard benches for 8 hours with no room to move around. I didn't think it was all that bad - a lot better than the bus because you could get up and move around. We even had a card game going at one point.










Luang Prabang was beautiful! One of my favorite cities. It had a French vibe to it that was a lot of fun. There's a hill in the middle of the town with a pagoda on top & we climbed up.




I had to get this picture...what do the three of them have in common?Chad on a cannon...anything dangerous about this?They made planters out of bombshells.




That afternoon we went to some waterfalls nearby.






We decided to climb to the top & it was a pretty tough climb. I was going slow because I kept slipping out of my shoes. I told Chad to go on & I would meet them at the top. There was this French guy behind me & he must have heard me because in English he said "you can do it." I thought it was pretty nice of him to encourage me - he kept repeating that phrase then I heard him mumble something in French with Obama's name in it & I realized that he was trying to encourage me with "Yes we can," Obama's campaign slogan.

I made it to the top only to have to climb down again to get to the water...I thought I was going to die because the climb down looked like this:

Chad & the girls swam at the top...I didn't want to climb down soaking wet, so I waited until we got back to the bottom.


The next day, Chad and I left Tara & Tessa at Luang Prabang for Vang Vien.

No comments: