Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gibbons & Tree-houses

One of the main things we wanted to do in Laos was the "Gibbon Experience." It's a 3-day, 2-night tour where you go into the jungle, sleep in tree-houses, zip-line through the jungle, and look for gibbons.

The brochure said "light" hiking, but there was absolutely NOTHING light about it. I brought horrible shoes, so I had a lot of problems. It was an hour & a half hike in to the main kitchen, then another hour hike to our tree-house (with some zip-lines along the way).
Here's our tree-house. We had to zip-line to it.And here's the line on the other end.And inside the tree-house.

You can see our "bathroom" in the back on the left...the only thing separating it from everything else was a sheet. And it was VERY windy!

The view from our tree-house...

And we even got all of our meals delivered.

Our 2nd day there, we went on a hike to some waterfalls. I had to turn back because I was having problems with my shoes (I basically brought flip-flops & was sliding out of my shoes...I ended up taking them off & hiking barefoot). I ended up turning back right before the leeches got REALLY bad, but I still got 4! Here are the photos from the rest of the hike...


The last day, the guides told us to be ready by 4:00 am to go look for the gibbons...of course they didn't show until 5:00. It was crazy, because it was all foggy...so we were riding zip-lines in this...We didn't get to see the gibbons, but we did hear them. On the hike back, we found these strange little bugs that looked like flowers...they really are bugs...seriously!"The Gibbon Experience" was awesome! If you'll be in Laos & are interested in doing it, here's their website: http://gibbonx.org/. And I should say, I am terrified of heights, but I loved doing this! I just wish I brought better shoes!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Holy Cow Kellie, what an incredible experience!!! It almost doesn't even look real, and those bugs for sure aren't real!