Thursday, May 24, 2007

Speak English

So I just finished teaching my first English class and it went pretty well. We showed up a little before 2:00 and the kids were in music class but as soon as they saw the "farang" they ran out to look at me. A few were even courageous enough to give a tentative "Hello." Anyway, the teachers got the students settled in the classroom (I think I was teaching the entire school because they were actually doubled up on chairs and some of the students were sitting on the ground).

I started by introducing myself and telling them about my family. I then passed around pictures which they loved (Chad & Kim you are going to be famous in my village). I then told them about Montana and had a picture book that I showed them. I then made them each stand up and introduce themselves...which they hated, but they had their teacher telling them what to say ("My name is___. I am ___ years old.") We finished a bit before the hour was up so I let them ask me questions..."What Thai food do you like?" "Do you like spicy food?" "Will you sing a song?" That last one got me...so I ended up having to sing "If Your Happy and You Know It" to 50+ students. I finally got them to join me at the very end, but it was difficult.

It is the end of the day now and I am going to go home and get ready for Chaing Mai. I have to leave my house at 7:00am...which in the States would have been horrible but is not too bad here as I wake up at 6:00 every day because of the roosters! I just hope the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" is good...when the nearest movie theater is a 6 hour bus ride away you have to be selective!

No comments: