Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thanksgiving

(Sorry Mom, I have to do it).

I was talking to my Mom a month or so ago (this was before the Cambodia trip). Now every phone conversation I had with her between July and October involved the question “Now when are you going to Cambodia?” It didn’t matter if I had spoken with her the day before…she still asked “Now when are you going to Cambodia?”

This time, after she asked the “Cambodia question” she asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving. I told her that the Peace Corps staff puts on a Thanksgiving dinner for us in Bangkok, but they were having it on the Saturday before because Thanksgiving is on Thursday & we don’t get it off. Then she asked THE question…the conversation went a little something like this:

“When do they celebrate Thanksgiving over there?”

“Mom!”

“Well, do they celebrate it the same time we do?”

“Mom! Thanksgiving is an AMERICAN holiday!”

“Oh, well what about Christmas?”

“Mom!”

“Well, do they celebrate Christmas?”

“Mom! Christmas is a Christian holiday. Thais are Buddhist. They do not celebrate Christmas!”

“Oh. I think I’ve asked you that before haven’t I?” (No, she has not asked me that before & I hope she did not ask anyone else that question).

So for those of you unfamiliar with international holidays, they do NOT celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day (aka 4th of July), Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Valentines Day, President’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, or Halloween. They do have their own holidays and I can give you that list if you want it.

So I will be going to Bangkok the weekend before Thanksgiving to have Thanksgiving dinner at one of the Peace Corps’ staff member’s house. There will be other volunteers there, but not all of us. It will only be for the weekend, and most of us will be back at site on Monday & spend this November 22nd (Thanksgiving Day) working as usual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute Thanksgiving story. Wish we could have made it to Billings to see your family but work got in the way this time. We had a nice turkey dinner but Christy's attempt at your mom's Sweet Potatoes (per Ally's request) was not entirely sucessful. keep up the good work over there. We'll be thinking about you! - Jeff

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kellie,

I spoke to your mother today and she told me about your blog. I figured I would search all the down and dirty websites for the blog and as you can see I found it. I hope all is well with you in Thailand. I will come back some other time and read the rest of your blogs. All is well here. I am sure your mother will eventually fill you in on our #3.