Thursday, July 31, 2008

Buddist Lent

July 18th marked the beginning of Buddhist lent. Last year, we went around to all of the temples in the area & gave them huge candles. This year, we went up to the reservoir for a celebration.


They had a huge tent set up with this set up under it. I'm not sure exactally what it is, but I saw them last year at this time as well.
Here's where the monks sit. The yellow buckets are gifts to the monks. They usually contain soap, toothpaste, robes, and a few other essentials.

We spent the day doing "good stuff" for the environment. Here are people releasing fish into the reservoir

And planting trees.



While everyone was planting trees, some of my students were providing entertainment. The boys were providing the music.And the girls were dancing.


Here are some of my coworkers eating lunch.

Here are two of my students...or should I say one former student & one current student.

No comments: