Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wai Kru Day

I had a meeting at one of my schools a couple of weeks ago. We are working on setting up a teacher training/English Camp & were meeting about the grant application. Throughout the entire meeting the Paw Aw (school principal) mentioned Wai Kru.

Wai Kru is a day where the students honor their teachers. Last year it completely took me by suprise & I had NO idea what to expect (it freaked me out a little). This year, I knew what to expect, and it still made me a little uncomfortable. You see, I always get there after they have done the ceremony with the other teachers, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

They made me sit on a chair in the front of the classroom & the students came up in groups and gave me flowers & wai'ed me. Here are some pictures.

After they were through, the principal loaded all of the flowers in a bag for me to take home. It's a nice concept, but not being used to it, I'm still a little uncomfortable sitting there while the kids wai to me.

No comments: