Thursday, April 19, 2007

Death in the Peace Corps family

I don't know if any of you have heard, but Julia Campbell, a PCV in the Philippines disappeared on April 8th and her remains were discovered on April 18th. It sounds as though she went for a hike and fell off a cliff. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends and the other PCV's in the Philippines who also lost a family member.

The Peace Corps is a weird place where people from all walks of life come together and become family. I now have so many brothers and sisters that I never would have met had I not joined the Peace Corps, but right now I couldn't imagine my life without them. We become each other's support and encouragement. We call each other when we are sad, when we are frustrated, when we just did something incredibly stupid, or when we just want to speak to someone in English. We become family.

So if you have a few minutes, please say a prayer for Julia, her family, her friends, and her PC family.

No comments: