Sunday, April 29, 2007

Weekend

I actually had to get out my jeans and sweatshirt this weekend as we had some thunderstorms come in and it got pretty cool (down to 70…it was really cold I swear!). We actually had a tropical storm warning and Peace Corps sent a text out to us all telling us that the thunderstorms can come in quickly and are really powerful so to be careful. Where I am at the thunderstorms were mostly at night and in the morning…which made taking that shower in the morning not too much fun. But I am not complaining as it was really nice to have some cool weather.

On Sunday, one of the ladies at the office that has been “taking care of me” got married. They kept telling me all week that I was going to be one of her bridesmaids (and they kept saying other stuff but the only thing that I understood was that it had to do with a microphone…was this going to be the start of my karaoke career?). One of the other ladies in the office told me that she would take me to the ceremony in the morning and would call to let me know what time to expect her…well, I didn’t get a call, but she showed up at around 10:00. We headed over to the house and the ceremony was almost over. I was just in time to watch the parents lead the couple (by a rope that was tied around their wrists) up to the bedroom that they would be sharing. They made them lie down together on the bed and cuddle while people stood around taking pictures (which for some reason made me a little uncomfortable…I guess you can blame those puritanical ancestors of ours).

We then headed down to Nan where they had the reception. Now after all the talk, I was expecting to have to get up on stage and put on a show, but it was typical most wedding receptions…a lot of tables and people eating and drinking (here it’s whisky). The food was really good and they did have some people get up on stage and sing some karaoke, but fortunately I was not one of the performers (which means we left before they could call me up to the stage and make me sing). After the reception, they took me to Tesko (a bit like mix between Target and Albertsons) so I could stock up on my “American food.”

It rained most of the weekend and looks like it is about to start again soon. I think that I am definitely going to have to purchase that hot water heater sometime this week…I just have to figure out how to install it…wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would get that water heater. It sounds like you are getting a break from the heat. We are too. We had rain and everything is so green and the flowers are opening up. It smells sooooo good. The birds are soooo noisey and we have nests right outside the window. The deer are enjoying my plants - they are so brave. They come right up to the pond and window. Enjoy that American food and goodies and get that water heater. Have a wonderful day. Love and prayers Gail