Monday, April 9, 2007

What a Day (and it's only 10:30)!!!

I can definitely say that I have had better days and it is only 10:30 in the morning. Let me tell you about my day so far:

3:30: Roosters start crowing. I wake up, listen for a few minutes, and then fall back to sleep.
6:00: Public announcements start over the loudspeaker. I wake up, listen for a few minutes, and then fall back to sleep.
7:00: My alarm goes off. I wake up and head for a cold shower (my house has an actual shower, but still no hot water).
7:15: Get dressed, dry my hair, etc.
8:00: I sit on the stairs in my kitchen and drink some apple juice and eat a banana for breakfast.
8:20: I am just getting ready to head to work when I notice the rear tire of my bike looks flat (I keep my bike in my kitchen at night so that it isn't stolen).
8:21: Yep, I have a flat tire!
8:25: Call the office and tell them that I won't make it in at 8:30 as I have to fix my tire.
8:26: I flip my bike over, take off the tire, get to the tube to fix the hole and I don't see anything so I put the tire back together and wash my hands...man I am good at this!
8:50: I start thinking that maybe the whole was one of those small hole that I wouldn't be able to see so I take the tire apart again, wash my hands, get a bucket of water and check for air-bubbles. Of course, no hole. So I put the tire back together and start to pump.
9:00: And pump.
9:10: And pump.
9:25: Finally I give up, wash my hands, and try calling the office to see if there is a place nearby that I can take my tire to get it filled with air...but no answer.
9:30: I put the (still flat) tire back onto my bike and wash my hands.
9:45: Sit and stare at my bike and contemplate walking to the office (it is only 1K after all).
9:55: Sit and stare some more.
10:05: I hear a faint "Kellie, Kellie." I go to the front door (which I don't really use) and there are my two of my coworkers. They stopped by to see how I was doing. I tried to tell them that my pump was not working, but they insisted on trying for themselves.
10:15: They give up trying to pump air into my tire and instead bring it to the front of my house and flag down a passing truck to take it to a bike shop.

And I have not seen my bike since. They tell me that the shop is fixing my tire and that it should be ready sometime this afternoon. In the meantime, my hands are all greasy because this stuff is not easy to get off (and I have washed my hands a lot) and I am over 2 hours late to work...but some good news, apparently a lady from the office is going into town (that means the big town that is an hour away) and said that she will take me to get some groceries (they have "normal" American food there).

No comments: