Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Songkran

(Note: I am currently getting the Thai version of this Blog so if things are a little messed up, I'm sorry...I still can't read Thai so it makes this a little difficult. I also had some photos to post but as everything is in Thai I can't figure out how...check back on this one as I may get them up eventually!)

Friday started the official Songkran holiday (I say official because as you all know, most people started celebrating early). Well, everyone had a blast. One of the staff from my office invited me to her house to go to a dance (similar to the one I went to on Thursday). Again, more water was pored on the farang and more dancing was done, this time though, I was given tickets to dance with some men...and thus got to tear the tickets when the whistle blew. (I had a photo of the stage & the ladies dancing that I was going to post here).

We then went into Nan (the "big" city) and it was absolute chaos there. There were the "soaker stations" set up on the side of the road, but my favorite was the "drive by dousers." They loaded a big barrel into the back of a truck and about 10 people hop back there and they pour water on anyone lucky/unlucky enough to cross their path. And when the "drive by's" met the "soakers" water flew everywhere...and worse yet when two "drive by's" met. (I had another photo that I was going to post here...does anyone have any suggestions as to how to change the language settings?)

All in all, it was a pretty fun weekend (and a long one at that…I don’t think that I have ever had a 5 day holiday). Some other notes, I finally killed a scorpion although it was not THE scorpion…this one was a baby which means that they are breeding and now I am scared to go into my kitchen/bathroom at night because they are nocturnal creatures. Also, my fingers are officially rubbed raw from doing laundry…I am seriously contemplating buying a washing machine, I just have to decide what is more important…hot showers or clean clothes…what do you think?

No comments: