Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New Years

Ok. I know it’s been a while…but I promised that I would tell you all about the family trip. So here it goes…

A Peace Corps volunteer from Samoa had gotten in touch with me (through this blog actually). She was coming to Thailand with a friend & wondered if I would be able to show them around a little bit. I told them that I would be in Chaing Mai over New Years & would love to meet up with them then.

They were a lot of fun & it’s always interesting to hear about other volunteers’ stories. We ended up hanging out at a rasta bar for a little while then we decided to head over to The Riverside. Traffic was horrendous so we had the driver let us out a little ways from the bar so that we could walk. We found people lighting off lanterns along the bank of the river so we decided to give it a try.





When we finally got to The Riverside, it was packed so we decided to try another place. We ended up staying there for a little while then headed back to the gate where they were having the “big” celebration. It was pretty neat as they had this big tree-like structure set up with these lanterns…it was really pretty & everyone just hung out drinking & talking. They started lighting off fireworks & we were expecting a countdown, but it never came…so we ended up doing our own (a little past the official time but no one else knew that).

After that, we headed back to the rasta bar & met up with even more volunteers. It was getting late (about 3:00am) when the other volunteers decided that they wanted to go to Spicy (this really sleazy after-hours bar). I had to pick up the fam early the next morning so I went back to the hotel.

It was really great to meet Laura & Stephanie & I hope they had a wonderful time while they were in Thailand!

No comments: