Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chaing Mai With The Family

The family’s plane got in at 11:00. I had never been to the Chaing Mai Airport, so I left the hotel at 9:30. It didn’t take long to get there, so I had about an hour to wait until their plane got in…and then they had to go through customs. I don’t know why, but as the time neared, I got incredibly nervous! I had butterflies in my stomach like you wouldn’t believe! It had been a year since I had seen them & it was torture having to wait! The wait was even longer than it should have been, because the airline had lost my Mom’s luggage…so they had to get that taken care of.
Once the hugs were taken care of, I greeted them with the Thai wai…


We then grabbed a songtao to head back to the hotel.


I knew that they would be pretty tired after the flight…so I didn’t plan too much for the day. The ladies went & got foot massages while the men went to a pub.


We then got some dinner & I took them to the Night Bazaar. I remembered when I first got here, I was ready to drop at about 8:00 & sure enough, when 8:00 hit, they were ready for bed.

Chad’s plane got in the next morning, so I went back to the airport to pick him up.

Poor Chad didn’t get much of a rest. We headed over to Doi Suthep which is this temple that is situated on a hill overlooking Chaing Mai. You have to climb about 300 steps to get to the temple.

But the view is amazing!

That night, I wanted to take them to The Riverside & take the dinner cruise, but when we got there, they were full (I didn’t know you needed reservations). So we had dinner at the restaurant instead.

After dinner, we took a tuk-tuk back to the Night Bazaar so they could do some more shopping & again they were ready to drop by 8:00.

The next day we took a bus over to my site.

1 comment:

Chase said...

Hi Kellie!

My name is Eric. I’m an RPCV who COS'd from Kenya at the end of November. I taught high school chemistry and biology (2005-2007). I’d love to talk to you about a Thailand visit. Please drop me a line. By the way, in Kenya we had tuk-tuks too! And they even went by that name! Smiles, Eric. egchase@gmail.com