Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Moments

I’ve found that I’ll have moments here where I love what I’m doing and where I’m at. Moments like when the kids across the street from me shout “hello” to me whenever I get home. Or when I’m sitting on a bus/songtao and the person next to me gets so excited when I understand what they’re saying. Or when I’m sitting at home listening to the rain hit my tin roof. I love these moments.

But then there are also moments when you just stop and say: “What in the hell am I doing here?” I’ve had a few of those moments lately:

Moment 1

I think that I’ve mentioned before, but the walls on my house are VERY thin. It’s basically planks of wood nailed to a frame…no insulation…no drywall…just wood planks (which, as my brother found out, makes the roosters very loud!) But it wasn’t the roosters that woke me at 2:00 the other morning (I’ve gotten used to them), it was my neighbor…getting sick! Yep…he was throwing up & I could hear EVERYTHING. The retching, the coughing, and the splat as it hit the ground. Not a pleasant thing to wake up to! I just hope whatever he has is not contagious…does anyone know if bird flu causes vomiting?!?

Moment 2

Killed another scorpion…this makes 10!

Moment 3

I was lying in bed reading a book when a bird flew into my room. Now some of you may know that I am terrified of birds. I think that they are evil & I don’t like them. So I hid under my blanked until it flew out then ran and closed my bedroom door. I didn’t leave my room for a couple of hours…I didn’t want to take the risk that it was still in the house.

Please keep in mind that these are only moments…I do really love it here. I mean I don’t know anyplace else where you can but 2 kilos of mangos for $1.25!

P.S. I got some photos uploaded to the last blog! Now that it’s working I’ll get to writing!

No comments: