Monday, January 26, 2009

Chaing Dao

After we went to Ayuthaya, Kerry and I met up with Melanie in Chaing Dao. Chaing Dao is a small village north of Chaing Mai & it was amazing...amazingly cold!!! Luckily we were somewhat prepared with warm clothes & the guesthouse had a campfire going in the evenings.

The scenery was amazing...I'm not sure if my pictures even show a small portion of the beauty.
Here's Kerry & Mel relaxing by the fire.


And a pic of the guesthouse lobby.


There is a big cave at Chaing Dao & we spent a little time exploring. We had to hire a guide with a lantern even though we had our own flashlights...which was a good thing because I would have gotten totally lost in there.

In front of the cave entrance, they had a little market area set up. They were selling herbal medicine. It was really interesting to see what some of the roots could cure.

There was also a temple & fish pond.

There was also a Buddhist Monastery close by & Kerry and I decided to check it out (Mel was out with food poisoning). We had to climb some stairs to get there...Half-way up, I thought I was going to die...then I saw this sign & it made me think.
Right after the sign, we came to a little resting point & this sign:

The way down...

Here's a pic of the Monastery in the hills.

The temple was actually built in front of a little cave & they filled it with Buddha statues.

Chaing Dao was very peaceful (if a little cold) and I would LOVE to go back sometime!

No comments: