Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Children's Day

January 10th was Children's Day here in Thailand. My SAO (my office) put on a little carnival for the kids. They (my co-workers) were preparing for it all week long, but of course they waited until 4:00 the day before to tell me that I had to play a game with the kids. When I asked how many kids they said about 500!

I actually got there a little late (they told me to come at 8:00 or 8:30 or 9:00...and usually when they do this it means that the event doesn't start until later in the afternoon). I showed up at 9:15 and things were in full swing. There was dancing...

And singing...

Here's another little girl singing...but notice the REALLY little one in the left hand corner? She "participated" in all of the performances ;-)

I found it entertaining to watch the boys get their heads shaved. There is a strict dress code here...the students (boys and girls) are not allowed to have long hair (unless they go to a private school).

This little girl was a doll!

After all the prizes had been given away, the students had to go back to school. Here's another thing that would never fly in the States...a Thai "school bus."

Oh, and they totally forgot about having me play a game...oh well!

No comments: