Monday, January 19, 2009

This would never fly...

It's VERY difficult adapting to a new/different culture. Things constantly take you by surprise...I've been here for 2 years now, and I'm still shocked by some things! One of the ways we (my fellow volunteers and I) have dealt with these little shocks is to call each other up...and at some point in the conversation "this would never fly in the States" is said. Here's an example:

I went to the post office with another volunteer to mail some calendars to my mom. I didn't have a box, so I just brought the calendars in with me & bought a box there. As I was getting my package ready (I was standing at the counter), the guy working behind the desk grabs one of the calendars out of the box and starts looking through it. It didn't really faze me until the volunteer turns to me and says "that would never fly in the States." And I realized she was right...the postman would NEVER examine your package/letter before you sent it.

I thought it was great though, the guy was just curious...and very excited to see the pictures in the calendar. I think I made his day...you know, it's not every day that he gets to go through a "farang's" mail!

No comments: