Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Post Office & The Mop

I FINALLY got to go to the post office by myself! How did I convince my coworkers to let me go you may ask…I didn’t ask them. I totally pulled a teenager move and “snuck out.” I had to ride my bike to the school to teach in the afternoon (from 1:00-3:00) and when I finished I just went straight to the post office (even though my office is between the school and the post office). The entire trip took me about an hour and I was completely sweaty and disgusting by the time I got home (it was 95 outside)…but I did it by myself! I’ll probably let my coworkers go for me for now on as it is very hot out, but I just wanted to show them that I could do it myself – that it wasn’t too far! *Side note: The guy at the post office told me that he had a Peace Corps volunteer teach him English years ago at his school.*

When I got home, a couple of ladies that work at the day care came over and asked me if I would help them with their English homework. Which meant that I pretty much did it all. Even though my Thai is pretty good, it was still very difficult trying to explain that they needed to draw a family tree and that you needed to put your parents’ name here, your name here, your husband’s name here, etc. They also had a section that had to do with syllables…the worksheet had Italy listed as 2 syllables and unless I completely misunderstood that lesson in school it only has 2 (right?!?)

Anyway, as I was “helping” them with their homework, one of the ladies gets up & walks into my house (we were working on my front porch). She goes into my kitchen, gets my mop, and starts mopping my floor!!! Now I’ll admit that I don’t sweep my floor EVERY day like the Thais do (I just get too bored with it), but my house is far from dirty! I also felt bad because the Thais do not put things on their floors & I have stuff all over…stacks of books, shoes, my suitcase, a pile of laundry that I was sorting.

Anyway, I have never had to deal with random people (I have met them once) coming over to my house and just grabbing a mop. They are coming over again tomorrow & I don’t know what I should do…maybe it’s a sign that I should mop before they come over (hmm), but I have a feeling that then they will go on to something else (like maybe my stacks of books sitting on the floor).

Wait a minute, why am I complaining here…someone other than me just mopped my floor for me!

No comments: