Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thai Mother's Day

We had another holiday on Monday (and I am told we have another one next week). This last Sunday was Thai Mother’s Day. It is actually the Queen’s birthday & they also “use” the day to honor their own mothers. They told me that I had to go to an event on Sunday morning at 8:00 (which means they picked me up at 8:50).

When we got to the site, there were a couple hundred people there…the kids were sitting with their school & each school was wearing matching costumes (they had to put on a performance later in the day). We sat toward the back & it seemed like we spent an hour watching people sign a guest book and make “donations” of these weird egg-like things (you see them all over at the temples and around pictures of the King & Queen but I’m not sure what they are).

Then some monks led us in a prayer & then the Mayor got up and said a few words. It was actually very brief considering that I have been to some very long events! When we finished we walked around & some groups had set up booths & were welling different things (baskets, snacks, drinks). Then they had a brief parade & then the kids started their performances.

I’m told that they do spend the day honoring their mothers, but that they have to honor the Queen also as it is her birthday.

No comments: