Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Another English Camp

Tara, one of the other volunteers in Nan, asked me to help with an English Camp she was having at her school. Her village is about 30 minutes from mine and there isn’t a songtao that runs between the two so getting there could be a little difficult. Originally she told me that they would meet me in Nan and then go up to her site, then a few days later she told me that they would come and pick me up at my site because they had to drive through my village anyway.

I had given her directions to my house but when you can’t read the street signs or house numbers finding someone’s house can be a little difficult. I had my phone on waiting for her call saying that they were in my village but couldn’t find my house when I heard my front gate open and Tara was shouting my name. They did have problems finding my house but her phone wasn’t working so they stopped at a little store and asked them where their farang lived (this is in essence asking where your white person lived). They told her that she (me) lived down the street and that I was at home (the keep tabs on me & what I’m doing).

So they picked me up & we went into Nan to do a bit of shopping & then headed up to her village. And I just have to say that I am so jealous. Her house is so cute and she has a WONDERFUL counterpart! Her sister & friend were there visiting and Tara’s counterpart took us all to dinner…we ate some amazing Thai food and then we went back to Tara’s house and watched a movie.

As for the English Camp, it was pretty much like every other English Camp I have been to. A lot of Thai kids running around & staring at you like you are a creature from another planet.

After the camp, Tara’s counterpart invited us all to her house & they made us dinner (and taught us how to make some of the food). Before we ate, they had a blessing ceremony for us (mainly for Tara’s sister & friend). After dinner (the food was delicious) her counterpart drove me home (which was nice to have someone drive you & not say find your own way).

I had a great time…I just have to repeat that I am so jealous of her site & her counterpart. And having her friend & sister there made me more excited for my own family to come & visit.

No comments: