Thursday, September 13, 2007

Germ Phobes & Picky Eaters Beware!

I was talking to some other volunteers the other day and we decided that we are becoming decidedly less “picky” about our food. I think nothing of sitting down at a table with a bunch of random Thai people and eating out of a communal bowl of soup (we all just dip our spoons into one bowl and eat away); or digging into a bowl of sticky rice when 5 other people are also using their hands to eat out of that same bowl (you eat sticky rice with your hands by rolling it into little balls and then scooping up other food with it). And I didn’t even flinch when one of my coworkers served me pieces of fish using the fork she had just eaten off of; or when another coworker dug her fingers into the eye sockets of the fish we were all eating from, scooped out the eyeballs, and ate them. I have even heard it mentioned (and I’m not going to name names) that some volunteers have even eaten cereal after the ants had already gotten to it (they found out when they poured the milk into the bowl and the ants floated to the top…no sense in wasting both the milk & the cereal). Yep, we are definitely becoming less picky when it comes to food.

No comments: