Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

I was prepared to make sacrifices when I joined the Peace Corps. I knew that I was going to miss my family, my friends, American food, my TV shows, shopping, etc. But I don’t think I was prepared for how difficult some of these sacrifices were going to be.

My Grandpa turns 90 today (the 12th of September). The family threw a huge party for him this past weekend…that I obviously missed. I talked to my Mom and she filled me in with the details. About 150 people came and everyone was talking and laughing…having a great time. My sister & cousin Nat were running around taking pictures of everyone and everything. And at one point “they got all the grandkids together to get a group picture with Grandpa.” I think that this is where it really hit me…because not ALL the grandkids were there…I was over here in Thailand. Some things just make you homesick and this was one of them. I am fine now…I have come to the realization that days like this will come and go and I will have more in the future.

Happy Birthday Grandpa! I’m sorry that I couldn’t be there to help you celebrate…but how about we do it again for #100?!?

No comments: