Friday, October 31, 2008

AIDS Camp

I've actually had a busy couple of weeks. Last Tuesday, we had that event at the SAO, then on Wednesday, Sarah (another volunteer in Nan) called me. She was panicked because she was having an HIV/AIDS camp at her site that weekend & another volunteer (with her students) was supposed to come up & help. The problem??? A group of corn farmers are protesting & have blockaded all roads into Nan province (I've heard rumors that they're upset that they can't sell their corn so they dumped it all in the middle of the road). So Sarah's "help" couldn't make it up. Luckily I was already in Nan, so I was able to make it up to help.

It was a lot of fun...we got to make kids play with condoms!

And made ourselves look like idiots (which is not hard to do I can tell you that)!

Here's the whole group.

I got back Monday afternoon. Later that evening Pee Nuch called me to tell me that she would pick me up at 8:30 the next day. I asked her where we were going & she said to the temple in my village (but more on that later).

P.S. If you want more info on the strike, check out: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/23/national/national_30086675.php

Apparently they're having problems getting gas into the province due to the protesters.

No comments: