Tuesday, October 28, 2008

SAO Event

Last week, my work (aka the SAO) put on a little party. They had been setting up a stage for days & they told me to be there at 7:00am on Tuesday. I knew that they were "lying" to me & showed up at 9:00...things didn't start until 11:30.

They had a parade at 11:30. They usually make me walk in the parades, but I wore the wrong color shirt so I wasn't allowed this time.

These ladies were standing at the entrance to greet everyone with flowers.



The guy in the yellow jacket is our nayoke...he's the head guy in our office. A bit like a mayor.
The lady with the smile is Pee Nuch...she "takes care of me."
After the parade, the nayoke went onto the stage & lit candles & incense for Buddha.
Then the kids that led the parade, put on a little dance.

Then we all went back to work as the real party didn't start until 6:00 that evening. (I still don't understand why they told me to be there at 7:00)!

Throughout the day, they made me get on stage with them so that they could take pictures. I don't know if I've told you, but Thai people LOVE to take pictures...it gets a little ridiculous sometimes. Here's a random sample (keep in mind there were a LOT more)...


I got there at 6:30...nothing was going on so I sat and talked to one of my co-worker's daughter. She was so proud to tell me "I am 5!" She was a little doll.

As soon as I took her picture, she grabbed my camera & took one of her mom & I. It would have been really good, but the flash didn't go off so it was blurry.

The main stuff started around 7:00. I didn't take any pictures as I didn't have a very good seat. I had seen all of the dances before (at other events) & was getting stared at by quite a few people in the audience so I went & "hid" in a corner. I was going to sneak out at 9:30...try to get out there before all the drunk guys got on their motorcycles, but it started POURING at 9:15. I did take video of that just so you could appreciate it!

I was stuck there for a good 30 minutes as I had ridden my bike & forgot my rain jacket. The rain finally let up & so I headed home. And remember my plan to head out before the drunk guys?!? Well, Pee Nuch didn't want me to ride my bike alone in the dark so she sent one of them to ride his motorcycle along side of me! (This same guy couldn't stand upright at 6:30 he was so drunk). I made it home safely...barely, I was so paranoid that I kept looking over my shoulder & almost crashed my bike a few times. It was a fun time...but I could have done without the rain!

No comments: