Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thai Food

I remember when I first found out that I was going to Thailand...way back in the day. When I told people where I was going, their usual comment was "I love Thai food." I do too (for the most part), but I have to say, Thai food in America is completely different than Thai food in Thailand.

Take this little guy for example...
Looks fairly harmless right?!? Like something you would find in your back yard. You would never dream of eating this...right?!? Wrong. The Thais love this little snack and were very eager to share it with me. Little did I know what I was getting into when I stuck it in my mouth...I think it has to have been the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten! Seriously! I don't know what was inside it, but whatever it was, was soaked in vinegar and tasted horrible. And of course I couldn't spit it out because they were all watching me. I managed (barely) to choke it down without getting sick and when I told them that it was "not delicious" they all laughed at me.
But on the other side of the spectrum, they serve meals like this:

And inside the banana leaf is this goodness:Sticky rice, pork, and nam prick (chili paste). You don't use any utensils when you eat this...only your hands. You break off little balls of the rice & dip it into the nam prick or grab a piece of the pork (but you only want a little nam prick at a time because it is SPICY). I actually ate this for lunch yesterday & they gave me another one (with a different type of nam prick) for dinner...and it was yummy! I'll miss meals like this when I get back to the States!

No comments: