Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another Day in Thailand

I went to Chaing Mai this last weekend (I'll write more about what we did when I get pictures from Tara). Anyway, the trip there was quite eventful! I usually just take a couple of Dramamine & sleep the entire way (it's a 7 hour bus ride)...but not this time.
We were pulling out of the Lamphun bus station when I hear this really loud noise (as if we hit something). I look out the window & see that we're dragging power lines behind us & ripping them off of the poles...seriously!

We tried backing up...only to hear that noise again. So the bus attendant (the buses here have attendants like the airlines do - they even serve food) gets out & just shakes her head. Meanwhile, we are completely blocking traffic as the bus is stopped diagonally across both lanes of traffic.

They end up getting a guy from the bus station & he uses a long bamboo pole to lift the cable while the bus "escapes." Apparently we were pretty tangled up as it took some time & maneuvering to get out. When we left, the power line was laying on the ground for others to drive/walk over.

I'm not really surprised that this happened as Thai wiring tends to be "complicated." My Dad & Chad were both awestruck when they saw some of the complex wiring they had here (they're bot electrical engineers). I didn't think to take pictures while all of this was happening (I was kinda worried that I was going to get electrocuted), but I did take some at my work to kind of give you and idea as to what I'm talking about.

I don't know if you can tell, but they've actually tied twine around it all to keep it all together.

Chad took these pictures when he was here. He was very impressed with the transformers.


We arrived in Chaing Mai safely a little while later. Just another day in Thailand!

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Seriously!! Every blog post is an adventure for you isn't it! I am glad you are alive and well. Thanks for keeping me entertained, I hope all is well! Stay safe and have fun!!